The objective of the project is to develop the Global Environment Facility (GEF) MedProgramme web-based knowledge management (KM) platform. The KM platform consists of a data and information management system (with both public and restricted access) and a combination of visualization tools to serve the portfolio’s needs. The platform aims to serve as a central repository of all the data generated by the nine Child Projects (CP) of the MedProgramme, with a view to the following strategic knowledge management objectives:
- Facilitate information sharing and promotion of the Programme achievements among the partners and the regional stakeholders of the MedProgramme.
- Facilitate the ease exchange of knowledge, information and data between the Programme and other relevant initiatives and processes in the region.
- Contribute to strengthening the institutional format and systematic documentation, dissemination and transfer of lessons learned and good practices and knowledge between and across CPs, by enabling knowledge exchange experience.
- Reflect the indicators of all CPs in the establishment of the relevant tools and frameworks.
- Support policy development through its data collection and management tools.
- Strengthen the science-policy interface.
- Ensure that the knowledge and information as well the tools and guidelines, lessons, and experiences relevant to the MedProgramme sectors of activity, already produced in the framework of previous initiatives are carefully preserved, valorized and easily accessible.
- Possibly evolve, over the long term, into a tool of the Contracting Parties of the Barcelona Convention.
- The platform is structured around three major components: a public facing website, an information visualization tool (using MapX) and a project management tool along with a collaborative working environment.